Drupal is one of the most popular open source and free content management system that’s developed in PHP. Drupal is literally a back end system that’s used to manage websites and blogs. A big number of government, corporate, educational and simply personal blogs and websites are maintained through this cms. Drupal is a popular system that can be used for various knowledge management and business collaborations.
How does the core of Drupal cms look like? It usually comprises user account registrations, Drupal menu management, RSS feeds and many other layout customization. One of the biggest advantages of Drupal cms is that it can run on almost all types of platforms. The minus of this cms is its quite sophisticated interface. And yet, Drupal is an extremely flexible platform that makes it possible to create a wide variety of websites.
Further on I’d like to view some of those websites that you can manage through this open source content management system.
Websites with static content
Despite this technology is not recent, one can use this CMS to manage and maintain traditional websites with static web pages. Being an administrator of Drupal platform you can literally create as many unique pages as you like. With Drupal system an administrator can set any page as the homepage.
Websites with dynamic content
Drupal cms allows to manage the content of a dynamic blog. It’s also possible to upload various files and even the whole pieces of content from other websites too. Running Drupal platform, a user can also share press releases and other important documents.
Drupal platform manages a user account system as well. It allows all users to register on the site and maintain their profiles. The feature that determines user’s access allows administrators to specify a type of content which a user can exchange on the site in the future.
Drupal is a very popular and robust content management system that can help you effectively manage your content and graphic material on the site, however it does have somewhat sophisticated interface that may require certain training and computer skills.
In this article I’d like to review those three ways that would help you to get people visit your website and keep them come back.
First thing first, you need to tell people that you have a website. You may think that this is the most obvious thing on the “must do” checklist. However, in reality there are many website owners who don’t invest either their money or time in promotion of business websites on the Internet. All the business literature that is posted on the site should contain your site’s address (business cards, faxes, invoices etc. If you’re using email to stay in contact with your prospects, incorporate a signature that will appear at the end of every message that you send. Such signature can contain your name, position, company’s name, web address and a phone number.
Encourage repeat visitors. According to the research, when visiting the site, many visitors decide if they wish to do business with a certain company or not. I will share with you some of the ways that encourage visitors to come back to your website:
- keep your website updated. Nothings frustrates your visitors more than a website that’s poorly maintained. You have to check your website and make sure that all information is current and relevant. Besides, it’s got to include contact information, personal stuff and prices (if you represent products or services).
- it shouldn’t be difficult to use. If the design of your website looks poor and the content is difficult to find, your visitors won’t want to waste their time and will definitely move to another website. People are usually notoriously impatient. Therefore, make sure that all your pages and links are clearly laid out on the site.
- make sure that your website works fast. Today more and more people use high speed broadband connection, and yet, there is a significant number of those users who use slow dial-ups to get connected to the Internet. The obvious thing is that people won’t come back to the site that they know is very slow.
Register and optimize your website for the search engines. You may find companies that would offer you to submit your website to hundreds of search engines, but actually, there are just a few major search engines that are really important. Others can simply get the email and use it for sending you spam messages. To effectively optimize your website for high rankings, it’s essential to post good, interesting and relevant content. This is what search engines base on when bring the site up or down in the search results page.
When the navigation system is effective, it usually stands out on the site. To make it clear and prominent, it’s important to meticulously think of a section on the site that would be designed exactly for navigation. This section is supposed to be recognized as a navigation area when a visitor arrives at the website. If it doesn’t happen and your prospective customer feels lost, navigation is definitely not effective.
Here are a few tips how to make your navigation to stand out:
- Place it in a visible area so that visitors can spot it. Positioning plays a very important role. Allocate your navigation menu somewhere at the top or left of the web page. Remember that visitors scan the page from left to right, starting in the top left corner and reading down the page. Therefore, if your navigation is placed at the top of the site or on the left, it will be easy for your visitors to find it. That’s the place where visitors naturally expect to see it.
- Size and colour are the most effective methods to make things noticed on the site. Colour can be used to powerfully draw visitors’ attention to certain elements and information. A widely used technique is to place navigation options on a coloured field, on a sidebar or on a horizontal bar. This technique works very effectively because it creates a strong contrast between other elements. The brightest, most vivid and saturated colours generally stand out on the site, but keep in mind that it’s very important to check how your navigation colour mixes together with the entire web page.
- Don’t clutter your website. By doing so, your navigation will have a little chance to be spotted on the site. Give it space so that every detail can be seen. Picture a crowded room. Would it be easy to find a particular person amongst thousands of people? Don’t let your key elements to get lost in the excessive entourage.
- Make sure you separate your navigation from the ads. Aside from that, make sure you don’t place your navigation above the logo. That’s the most common place for banners and thus, generally ignored by visitors. And what’s important as well is to make your navigation look differently to ads.
Trust is a must ingredient of any relationship. It’s trust that encourages people to come back to you and use your service again. In this article I’d like to share some experiences with you that can help you to build trustful relationship with customers.
It’s good to have returning clients. Working together for some time, you learn each other habits and preferences and this knowledge greatly helps in any cooperative situation. Besides, you already know what your clients expect from the project, what time they are available and other important professional details that simplify the working process. Working with the same clients will let you disregard some of the tasks that you’re supposed to perform at the beginning of collaboration. Trust can become a starting point for a long-term client relationship. Besides, clients would most likely go for the service that they know is reliable and high quality. If they were satisfied with your service in the past, they would be happy to come back to you again.
Now, when you know the benefits of keeping your already existing clients, let’s view some of the tips that will help you to build trustful relationship with them. These tips usually work and hopefully, they will work for you too.
“Show your kitchen” to the visitors. Have you ever visited a kitchen of the restaurant? Probably, not. Well, in all honesty, it’s not a common practice for quite understandable reasons. There’s always a chance to overlook some food on the floor, dust on the furniture, etc. In that case people would definitely question quality of your food and service. But what if you walked in the kitchen and it was absolutely flawless? Would you not get imbued with confidence to such restaurant? Being transparent with your customers will firstly add trustworthiness to your business and secondly, make you operate at high-level capacity.
It’s getting more and more difficult to create a beautiful website with unique and appealing features. Abundance of websites has made it almost impossible to create something fresh, eye-catchy and visually appealing. Even if you were not looking for an entirely unique project, it would still be a challenging task to create a site that won’t look outdated. Modern touch is what’s mostly desired by business owners today.
Below I’d like to share some of the effective techniques and design elements which should be used whilst creating a website. You can easily combine these elements or pick and choose just those ones you want to design a project.
The usage of vivid colors can bring a lot of visual interest to your website, especially among younger demographics. The colors of the same hues and saturation can give more integrity to the design. However, make sure that there is sufficient contrast between the elements. Especially it’s important when you have a text on a page. An improper contrast will make the reading process very difficult. The shades of a single color can also work well. If you put an emphasis on a single element of the web page, your site can still have a great impact on the audiences. Mixing vivid colors with mute ones can really make vivid colors stand out.
Lightning effects and gradient textures
Gradient textures and lightning effects can be used to achieve a vast variety of effects. You can create a nice-looking header image by mixing gradients and lightning effects. But you have to be quite careful though because it’s easy to make the site look too busy. By limiting the intensity of lightning effects or reducing the number of effects your website can obtain a new and appealing appearance.
Transparent elements look really special on interesting backgrounds. In practice, transparent layers can make your background look very attractive and outstanding. Whilst background remains to be a centric part of the site, the content will grab a visitor’s attention right away.
Designs drawn by hand
A few hand-drawn images or sketched elements can add originality and fun to your website. With such elements your website will definitely look more artistic and laid-back. Besides, sketched images tend to evoke memories about childhood and cartoons. A single sketch on the main page can have a great impact on your visitors. Mixing sketched imagery with hand-drawn fonts work especially well.